Sea, beach, bathing and complete enjoyment – summer holidays are ON. Besides swimsuit and dearest flops, an integral part which protects us is from harmful sun rays is tanning lotion.
One of the best ways to achieve a beautiful deep tan and also to preserve the health of your skin is to use tanning lotion gradually every day. Before you start tanning it is important to exfoliate and clean your skin, and then you should apply a lotion or cream. This way you will achieve better results. The cosmetic industry offers a number of resources for sunbathing, but it is good to know that you can make one at home. Make a natural lotion sunscreen with coconut, extra virgin olive oil, any essential oil and zinc oxide, which has a factor of 20 and is equally effective compared to products sold in stores.
One of the biggest criticisms of store bought tanning lotion is that you are often left with an unpleasant orange shade in your tan. This doesn’t happen with homemade tanning lotion. It is extremely cheap compared to buying in store. You can often save over half, if not more, from the price you would pay for a brand name tanning lotion and you can make as much as you need. There are none of the harsh chemicals that you often get in a tanning lotion that is bought from a shop. These can sometimes damage your skin with overuse, with a DIY tanning lotion you know exactly what is going into the lotion, so you can protect yourself from any skin damage. You can get the exact color that you want, by just changing the recipe slightly. And as a big plus, you can never get irritated skin or allergic reaction from chemical compounds.
The individual ingredients that are naturally SPF are:
Almond Oil- SPF around 5
Coconut Oil- SPF 4-6
Zinc Oxide SPF 12-20 depending on how much used
Red Raspberry Seed Oil SPF 25-50
Carrot Seed Oil – SPF 35-40
Shea Butter – SPF 4-6
Natural oils can restore, rejuvenate and protect the skin. They are considerably cheaper, natural and highly effective in skin care. Olive oil is a great ingredient that helps to get a nice tan, and many of us have at home. It is rich in vitamin E, which is a natural antioxidant with many beneficial effects on skin. It soothes and moisturizes, and helps in getting perfect golden tan. Coconut oil can be used as a natural sunscreen and can also be used to reduce the damage from sunburn. Follow the next instructions and make your own lotion sunscreen.
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- essential oil of choice (lavender, vanilla)
- 2 tablespoons zinc oxide
- In a deep metal bowl place the coconut oil, olive oil and add a few drops of essential oil of your choice.
- Place the dish steamed, stir to melt the coconut oil and make it homogeneous.
- Then move the container to the side and carefully add the zinc oxide. Stir again the mixture and put it in a small jar. Leave the lotion sunscreen to cool for several hours.
Another recipe for lotion sunscreen is:
½ cup almond or olive oil (can infuse with herbs first if desired)
¼ cup coconut oil (natural SPF 4)
¼ cup beeswax
2 Tablespoons Zinc Oxide (This is a non-nano version that won’t be absorbed into the skin. Be careful not to inhale the powder).
Optional: up to 1 teaspoon Red Raspberry Seed Oil
Optional: up to 1 teaspoon Carrot Seed Oil
Optional: up to 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
Optional: 2 tablespoons Shea Butter (natural SPF 4-5)
Optional: Essential Oils, Vanilla Extract or other natural extracts to suit your preference
- Combine ingredients except zinc oxide in a pint sized or larger glass jar. I have a mason jar that I keep just for making lotions and lotion bars, or you can even reuse a glass jar from pickles, olives, or other foods.
- Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and place over medium heat.
- Put a lid on the jar loosely and place in the pan with the water.
- As the water heats, the ingredients in the jar will start to melt. Shake or stir occasionally to homogenize. When all ingredients are completely melted, add the zinc oxide, stir in well and pour into whatever jar or tin you will use for storage. Don’t use plastic boxes or jars.
- Small mason jars (pint size) are great for this. It will not pump well in a lotion pump!
- Stir a few times as it cools to make sure zinc oxide is well mixed within other ingredients.
- Use as you would use regular sunscreen. Best if used within six months.
Please remember to share this article with your loved ones or whoever may benefit from this information. Thank you for reading our page.